Friday, June 30, 2006

Explanation of this blog's title

I know that there are a few people who read this blog, so I would just like to say why I chose the title "Throne of the Basileus" and what it actually means. I have long been interested in the history of the Byzantine Empire and from about 700 (thereabouts, its been a long time since I have read the histories of the empire that I have and I should check but can't right now) they started calling the Emperor "Basileus" which replaced the previous title of "Augustus." There really never was an actual position called "Emperor" at any time during either the Roman Empire or its successor in the Byzantine Empire, but rather the rulers were awarded the title of "Basileus."

So when you read this blog, know I mean "Throne of the Emperor" which means that I have a high opinion of myself :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home