Thursday, June 22, 2006

Learning about economics

Recently it occured to me that while I know a great deal about politics that my knowledge of economics is sorely lacking. This is not normally something to be concerned about but it is important to be an informed voter and to understand the true economic impact of government policy so I can filter out the partisan spin I hear about it. Therefore, I have gotten two books out of the library on Economics, one of them being a textbook and the other being "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell, which is a book about the economy in layman's terms. It is really quite an interesting field because many of the things we think about as central to economics are really only one small part of the puzzle. Basically economics is the study of how scarce resources are used by a society.

It is, I think, about human behavior as much as it is about money and that's why this is going to be quite a learning experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home